Constipation is one of the most common health problems these days with survey indicating around 20 percent people being affected across the world. Ayurveda classifies constipation as vatic disorder. Vata’s cold and dry qualities disturb the colon unsettling the bowel movement.
Good news is constipation is often preventable and there are many natural home remedies that helps improve bowel functioning. But before we dive into the treatment for constipation, lets find out what are its common causes.
Common Causes for Constipation-
- Lack of Exercise- People who exercise daily usually don’t develop constipation. The diaphragm and abdominal wall play crucial role in bowel movements. Include regular morning walks, yoga and exercises into your day to day life.
- Lack of fiber- People are consuming a lot of fast and junk food these days. Foods like Burgers and pizza have high glycaemic index along with fat and sodium. Aerated drinks have a lot of sugar which has high calories and triglycerides which is a risk factor for heart disease.
- Medications- Below common medications can cause constipation-
– Antidepressants like amitriptyline and imipramine
– Narcotic pain drugs
– Calcium supplements
– Diuretics like chlorothiazide
- Pregnancy- The hormonal changes due to pregnancy can make a woman susceptible to constipation.
- Not drinking enough of water- Drinking more of alcohol, caffeine and soda can dehydrate your body. Lack of water can be the fastest reason for you getting constipated the next day.
Natural Home Remedies for Constipation-
- Exercise- Exercise is essential for regular bowel movements. Exercise speeds up your breathing and heart rate helping natural contraction of muscles in your intestines. This lowers the time it takes food to move through the large intestines. Simple exercises like walking, jogging, swimming, dancing can help you ease the constipation.
- Drinking enough water/ hot water- Drink hot water first thing in the morning and right before bed to get the best benefit. Drinking enough water improves the digestion and also helps toxins to flush out of your body. Squeeze a lemon in your morning water to also give you Vitamin boost.
- Dietary Fiber- Dietary fiber found in vegetables, fruits, legumes and whole grains has the ability to relieve constipation. Fiber also have health benefits such as lowering the risk of diabetes, heart diseases and also maintains body weight.
Include more of these foods in your diet- Apples, carrots, beans, citrus fruits, oats, cauliflower, leafy vegetables, cucumbers, etc.
4. Ayurvedic Remedies-
- Triphala- Triphala is one of the most trusted remedies for constipation. Half teaspoon triphala with warm water first thing in morning and last thing before bed is the best way to make use of it. Triphala is made of three fruits that act synergistically together. These are- Amla, Haritaki and Vibhitaki.
- Milk with Ghee- Taking one or two teaspoons of ghee with hot milk during bed time can help relieve constipation.
- Mulethi- Mulethi or Liquorice is a popular herbal supplement that treats many medical conditions. The root of mulethi is helpful in curing digestive problems like constipation, stomach ulcers and acidity.
- Fennel seeds- Fennel seeds contain volatile oils along with anti-inflammatory properties that helps kick start the digestion by producing gastric enzymes.
5. Yoga- Yoga through its twisting poses benefits your digestive system. These poses massage your digestive organ thereby supporting a healthy bowel movement.
Being healthy is so important. In Upanishad it is mentioned that a healthy body is the most precious asset a human can possess. With this aim, we at Mind and Body Today have started a campaign which includes insights on yoga, ayurveda along with some ancient wisdom for modern man.